Monday, January 14, 2008

Motivation - the community of rowers

My friend Ari Berman has added me to his "erg workout" email list. This morning was 15 minutes times 4, a great workout. My split was higher that I would have preferred, but I just need to put in the meters at this point.

As I was slogging along, I thought about the power of the community to motivate. Without the knowledge that others would be there doing that workout, and hoping I might come too, there is no way I would have gotten out of bed and down to the boathouse this morning at O Dark Hundred. I got home late last night and got Ari's inviting email and that is what got me up this morning.

Is it the community or the personal invitation? I think it's both. We have a parishioner at church that we call "the #1 Evangelist." She brings all sorts of people to church. She also beats herself up when all the people don't stay. I point out that she is doing the inviting, and that is 99% of the work. Who will I personally invite into community today?

No comments: