Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Hanging in there

Today the team did a simulated Head of the Charles piece. Deirdre even posted a map of the course on each person's erg and called out things like "starboards, power up around the Weeks Bridge." Since I'm not going to the race, and since I was coxing today, I sat on the sidelines with several others and watched the whole thing.

It was interesting to observe my own mood swing from resignation at not participating, to boredom, to irritation at having to wait, to pandemonium at the last twenty strokes when we started rooting everyone on. There is a very important learning in this for me, that often a light breaks through just when you think you cannot hang on for a moment more. For my rowing pals, the light was the last twenty strokes. For me, the light was getting to feel part of the group again as I helped cheer them to the end.

There's a sermon in here, I just know there is!

No comments: