This week I finally did my erg test (20 minute piece at about rate 28). I did it with three teammates, bless them!!! At first I thought "this feels too easy!" Then after 10 minutes it didn't feel so easy. But I got the best score I've gotten in three years, so it was a good test, and I felt strong and confident about it.
I used to let rowing and erging and all that decide how my life would go, my frame of mind, my mood and disposition. A good seat race and the day was golden. A bad erg test and the day was ruined.
Somehow I have moved out of that so that now more than ever, my rowing reflects my life, my frame of mind, my disposition. The past year was hard, and so rowing was hard. Lots of mental breakdowns and not very satisfying races and tests. How do I know that the dark night of the soul is beginning to end and I'm coming towards the light again? Because my rowing reflects it.
The reality of where we are spiritually is reflected in how we are living. At the same time, I believe we can live into new spiritual maturity through the practice of simple things. That bumper sticker, "practice random acts of kindness" helps us to grow generously into a kinder, more compassionate person. What small thing can you do today? Or see reflected today?
No comments:
Post a Comment