Friday, May 25, 2012

creativity

I was talking to a parishioner last night about the importance of finding time for the creative work that is in all of us. We talked specifically about time for artistic pursuit, and the need to carve out that time now, instead of later. I appreciated the reminder, and so find myself this morning, on my day off, spendng a few precious unplanned hours working on some things that I have been wanting to try. I have, until recently, wanted to keep my photography "pure", that is, to try and present an image that is closest to what I experienced out in the field. But of course, this does not prevent me from experimenting with the amazing technology which is both inside my camera (this image, which is actually several recent photographs fused into one) and inside the computer. I can do both, hello!   I am taking inspiration from a variety of sources, and appreciating being able to be involved, vicariously, in the creative processes of others. Others, I thank you!

This also becomes a very interesting theological question...what I "experience" as "pure" and what I "create" from those "elements"...where is the holy in all of this? Because what I experience, and what I see, and what my camera captures, and how I choose to present that, are these not all elements of prayer? They are in a very real way to me.

I'm going to leave words behind and go back to my creating/praying...but not before I share the first creation...just because I can!


No comments: