Friday, May 14, 2010

Sabbath

For years I struggled to figure out the pacing of my life. About ten or more years ago now my oldest friend and I decided to have a phone date every Friday at 5:30 am...the time worked for both of us and was the only time we could find when both of us could speak uninterrupted for a good amount of time.

This morning Alexa and I talked as usual and as I got up and found tea it occurred to me just how important this Friday morning sabbath time has become. The only morning of the week I don't leap up to get to practice or to work, the one time of the week where my prayer time can be leisurely and creative. I'm also so aware of how many friends, parishioners, colleagues do not have the luxury of this time, and so that knowledge makes me doubly grateful for it.

As the Pray as you Go people asked this morning, what is the fruit that we are supposed to bear and offer to the whole world? I think the fruit for me today is the center and balance which comes out of Sabbath time.  It's almost time to go get my hair cut, but until then, I plan to keep gathering in and try and pass it along to others I meet today.

No comments: