Last week I took a break; my soul needed some refreshment. So a couple of emails to friends and voila, I had a 24 hour trip to Yosemite organized. We blasted out Thursday and back Friday night. Just enough time for a trip up the Mist trail and Nevada Falls, a night in a Curry Village tent cabin, then up early, Yosemite Falls, and home. We had a GREAT time, other than the fact that we were overtaken by an unexpected thunderstorm. Camera survived, Blackberry, not so much. It was exactly the trip I needed.
As we came back down in the thunderstorm, a group of young people from Sacramento asked if they could hike with us. At first I thought they were trying to help us, but as went along, we realized how frightened they were and that we were actually helping them. They would ask "which way does the trail go" and we would point and encourage them onward. As we made our way down the slippery granite steps, I thought of the many ways that our mutual help and aid to each other often goes unspoken, unsaid, and unappreciated.
As we hiked, I gave thanks for these young people and prayed for their safety (and their developing wisdom: for example, to take our advice NOT to enter the Merced River because yes, the current is quite strong at the moment!)
The rainbow on the Mist Trail just beneath Vernal Falls was spectacular, as was the water rushing over fall itself. Praise God for the grandeur which is Yosemite!
2 comments:
Stacy the photos were wonderful and memory evoking. I can no longer do the kind of hiking required, but remember well the wet and slippery walk. Yes, we never do know when simple acts become life-nourishing ones. Thank you. I enjoy your posts.
Amelia, thank you for this!
Post a Comment