Monday, March 9, 2009

Stay and see



I had a wonderful conversation yesterday with my friend and colleague Jim, about the holiness of the hilltop Nativity sits on and the ways in which the seasons change in front of us. There is something profoundly satisfying about being in a place long enough to be able to enter in to the subtle changes that nature offers. I realize that I felt that way about Mt. Calvary, and now understand the same relationship with Nativity.

We were talking about the green, which has just in the past couple of weeks burst out, thanks to the rain we have received. We talked about the grey green hills and our longing over the past month for Mother Nature's regular show of emerald green new growth...it has been slow in coming, and perhaps will be shorter this year, but that moment of brightness on our ever-changing hills is here for an instant right now, it may be gone this afternoon. As we sat overlooking the valley, we both breathed in the moment and gave thanks for it. Amazing just how far just a hint of the holy can carry us.

I love the rattlesnake grass at Nativity. It is a later spring thing, but I saw yesterday the beginnings of it as I walked Molly Brown. For everything a season!

No comments: