Friday, January 23, 2009

Morning Light


The morning of Barack Obama's inauguration, I got up very early and headed out to lay in supplies (Peet's coffee and goodies) for the morning of celebration. As I left my house, I was drawn across the street to the abandoned warehouses, part of the legacy of Hamilton Air Force Base. I loved the light on the buildings and the play of the straight lines and wires. I stood for five minutes and took picture after picture, and when I was done, I thought "I got it!" I came home, transfered the pictures to my laptop, and thought "I didn't get it." What I took was not exactly what I saw. Or perhaps, what I was seeing in my mind is not what I was able to capture with the camera, although I sure tried.

It makes me think about all that is contained within us: the amazing complex brain, eyes, the dream of what is and what can be, th desire to capture the illusive moment of light...and then all that is around us, the seasons, sun, moon, wind, people, circumstance, that create every moment. And on and on. Anyway, this was a moment, not captured exactly to my liking, but good enough, on the dawn of a new day.

No comments: