Sunday, July 20, 2008

To be fed by weeds

This morning I went in to Grace Cathedral for church, since I'm still on vacation and I wanted to get out and worship with another congregation. My friend and colleague Nina Pickerrell gave an amazing sermon on the wheat and the weeds; she preached without notes, had the attention of all in the congregation, and reminded us that the weeds with the long roots that are in our own gardens are weeds that we need to deal with ourselves. Whether we are watering them by mistake with the lavender, or whether we lean down and yank them out, root and all. We are to take part in our own healing. It was a powerful message and one that I needed to hear this morning.

Then there was the singing. A bit complicated perhaps for newcomers, but I loved every note and sang with gusto (sorry to those sitting around me there!) I confess I love the space at the Cathedral, no matter the acoustics. It is one of my spiritual homes and I feel connected there.

The presider was a priest I had heard of and not met. He was gentle and direct and the words faithfully prayed in a way that allowed space for everyone. The man next to me whispered the words of consecration, and while this sometimes rattles me when I am presiding, I loved it this morning.

The doorman from the Fairmont Hotel was there. The two joggers in shorts and t shirt were there. The old regulars were there, the tourists. It reminded me of the diversity of the church gathered. I felt fed from start to finish. A reminder to me, a priest, of why people come to church week after week. A good reminder via weeds!


No comments: