Tuesday, June 10, 2008

God said, "remove your sandals...

...for the place on which you are standing is holy ground."

This is what God said to Moses as Moses approached God the burning bush on Mt. Horeb.

This sentence of scripture popped into my head today as Lydia and I pushed off the dock in our singles on what has to be one of the most extraordinary days of the year. No breeze, glass for water, tank top weather at 5:45 am.

This sentence of scripture popped into my head because it is customary for rowers to leave their shoes on the dock. So when we leave a dock, we see many pairs of shoes removed and waiting for their owners to return. As I noticed the shoes today, I prayed for their owners, each seeking the unity, the wholeness - dare I say holiness?- which rowers seek with each and every stroke. In that early morning time, all other worries and cares are put aside in deference to the search for that mystical moment that rowers call swing. Most of my rowing pals would not call searching for that moment prayer, but I do, since it is part of my search for the holy.

No comments: