Saturday, February 16, 2008

Giddyup, Cowgirls!

Today we had the Erg Rodeo at the boathouse, meaning we had to go down and do a 2000 meter test under race conditions. There's no way around it, it's a personal test. Graham and Jim had the fancy computers set up so you could see your name "on the big screen". We got there early, warmed up, drank water, ran to the loo, all the things we actually do before a race.

Then it was time to each take an erg and do the brutal work of 2000 meters all out. It takes plus or minus eight minutes for most masters women. I was not feeling mentally strong, so while people were strategizing about their starts, and their split and their rate, I was just saying to myself "just finish, Grossman, just sit on that thing and finish the piece."

I was pleasantly surprised. And what occurred to me, as men and women I don't even know cheered me on, and as I repeated my mantra "just finish", is how much that kind of test is about what one does in one's own self. Forget the outside distractions, the other people, expectations. It is one stroke at a time, for eight minutes or so, until the thing is done. And it is done for now, until next month.

2 comments:

Whit+ said...

Stace,

I love the new header! How did you do it?

Unknown said...

You only need to format a picture so it is somewhat the same size as for the header (( am still learning about picture size...but when i simply imported a picture it was way too big!). Then just float your font over the picture...I am happy with it!