Today we did 3 4000 meter pieces on the erg. It was a killer workout. I felt really good and pulled negative splits for the workout, meaning that I got stronger and stronger throughout the workout. As I pulled, I was pondering the parable of the dishonest manager. Next to me, Arlene told me that the sermon she heard related the dishonest manager to all the dishonest people in government, in business, etcetera. Yikes!! Well, I guess that is one way to interpret it.
I told her that I preached what was on my heart, which was that to either read this text literally and be completely baffled, or to try and understand the context in which a dishonest person would be extolled, also baffling, led me to a third way...that is, to let the story that made no sense go and to go with what did make sense in the passage, that is, that only one God can be served. A simple message, yes. What I noticed was that people mostly said "we are so glad YOU did not understand that story, it makes us feel so much better." This strengthened me as I believe it strengthened them.
What does this have to do with pulling negative splits? Not much, probably. But in both cases, I felt strengthened, which is always a blessing.
No comments:
Post a Comment