Thursday, September 29, 2005

stroke!

This morning at practice we all did a doubletake as our coach Rick called out the lineups - and I was stroking one of the boats. Several people poked me and others said "fasten your seatbelts." Because you see, I stroke the boat about once year and have never found a slide I couldn't rush. Anyway, it was a big surprise. And honor, the stroke seat is the lead position and sets the rate and the tone for the entire boat.

As my name was read, my gut reaction was "not me, I'm no good. I'm not ready. I can't do that well enough. " I almost said that outloud, but something held me back. That I didn't take myself out before I began was a grace. I felt like one of the disciples being called away from my comfortable existence to venture out into the unknown. On the other hand, I was excited to give it a try. I just needed and wanted a little shove.

So I was thankful today for being called out. Thankful to the teammates who didn't snicker TOO loudly. We had a good row, we tried hard, worked mostly as a team. And I got to experience the stroke seat again this year!

1 comment:

Whit+ said...

Polly, the last time we were called to sit in that seat, we cried alot. Love, Polly