We row back and forth, back and forth past San Quentin Prison. Past the guardtowers, past Death Row, past the buses from the L.A. County Jail bringing new residents to the prison. We in Marin easily forget that this institution is in our very midst. Can the prisoners see us? What are they thinking? And, are we thinking of them...at all?
It's getting dark these days, and soon, we will be rowing in the dark and rising with the sunrise. With each sunrise, I try to remember to pray for the prisoners and for their victims, for the victims' families, for the guards, for wisdom for our government and leaders, and for the abolition of the death penalty.
And we row back and forth, back and forth.
1 comment:
I love this post. It occured to me while reading it that all of us, are in a way - prisoners to something awaiting our death.
Freedom and peace may have less to do with where we live and more to do with how and why we live. I read with great delight recently of the inmate ordained to the priesthood in the Episcopal Church by Bishop Swing.
Post a Comment