Tuesday, August 30, 2005

The Erg

The ergometer is the bane of the rower's existence. This morning six of us met at six and erged steady state for 45 minutes.

When we erg this way together, we try to stay together. But this morning, I found myself fighting my teammates and the erg itself to stay at the proper stroke rate. I tried to lead the stroking. No. Then I tried to follow Liz Hart. No. For a while I gave up and just did my own thing. No. I was slightly off a lot of the time. Grrrr ;)

I've learned this over and over again on my spiritual journey, and it seems to be the lesson for today. Fighting others and oneself does not edify. Sometimes active leadership is required, sometimes giving in serves the group better. Sometimes there is nothing to do but grit my teeth and get through the piece (or the day). All of these efforts are more edifying that fighting. Finding a common consciousness takes a lot of work and awareness and patience and communication. Maybe Thursday!

No comments: