Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine

On Valentine's day in 2006, I brought Molly Brown home from the pound. She had been rescued in Jefferson parish, Louisiana, after the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. She had heartworm when I brought her home, and had begun the devastating, but necessary treatment: injections of arsenic near her spine, kind of a canine chemotherapy. after two weeks of nursing her, I admit to having second thoughts, what had I gotten myself into? But already, Miss Brown had worked herself into the hearts of the Nativity congregation, and into my heart. She was a wonderful canine companion.

Tonight I pray for those who mourn, for those who feel alone, for those for whom Valentine's day is hard, sad, a reminder of what is missing. Molly Brown continues to remind me, now from heaven, what unconditional love looks like, in her old yellow pound dog way.




No comments: