Wednesday, October 3, 2012

you meet the most interesting people, traveling

Stacey and Molly
I love this photograph




I landed at Port Elizabeth, SA, this summer, after about 35 hours of travel. I was to look for a monk or a taxi. I looked and there was no monk, no taxi. And then I realized "no contact information for the monastery."  No ****. Grossman, you've traveled around the world with no address in your pocket. No way!



This helped me get my "travel legs on" quickly. I found a woman who googled and found it for me. She could not do more, but that was enough...another woman called for me, found out that the taxi driver was indeed there, just not where he was supposed to be. She instructed me to sit and drink water, she would find him, and she did.


Pure joy, with Steven Smith
Rob at the monastery altar

I took my bag out to find the taxi driver all loaded up with two college students headed for Rhodes University in Grahamstown. Stacey made three, and we laughed and talked all the way home.

One of the young women, Mia, is a journalism student at Rhodes, and several days after my arrival, she called the monastery and asked if I would mind being the subject of a photo essay she needed to do. Why not, I like to be photographed! So she came out to the monastery several times. She has just sent me the pictures, so I have posted my favorites here. Thank you, Mia!

Children's time on Sunday

Stacey and white lion friend

No comments: