I am heading off to the General Convention of the Episcopal Church this week as a Deputy from my diocese. This is an every-three-year meeting of church leaders to consult with each other, make decisions, approve budgets, and so on. For those who have attended before, it is also an awaited reunion.
I have never attended a General Convention, and only became interested in it after I served a term as a member of our diocesan Standing Committee. Leadership has always been important and compelling to me. I like to believe that my contributions can make a difference. And as I say in my once-yearly rowing sermon, leadership is accomplished from a variety of different places with in the boat. Sometimes, one is called to set the rhythm. Sometimes, one is asked to simply haul ass on that oar and do nothing other than pull hard. Sometimes, one is called to be nimble; helping the boat to be balanced. Sometimes, one is called not to row, but to lead and direct with inspirational words and with whatever will help the team succeed. I love my rowing for what it has taught me about leadership. Many different ways to accomplish it, all within the confines of one fragile boat which we all occupy together.
So at the General Convention, I believe I am being called to be a non-anxious, praying presence. I have been praying for that for myself, and have also been praying that my attitude be non-judgemental and open to Holy Spirit, rather than infected by cynicism. As I have been praying for these things, I have been thinking of the several times my friends and I have climbed Half Dome in Yosemite. If we had known what the journey would be like, we might never have attempted it, especially the first time! But thankfully, we had only a glimpse of reality, and step by step, we moved towards the goal, until we finally got up the Mist Trail, up the next falls, through the valley, up the Sub Dome Knee Grinder, up the cables, up to the top, and then, to the visor for a picture. And then, we still had six hours to hike back down.
So as I go into this next ten days and the General Convention, I will keep this picture of my friend Erin and me in mind. I don't know what "the top of General Convention" looks like, but perhaps I will know it when I see it, or even as we start to make our way down. In any case, my friends will accompany me in spirit, and that makes all the difference!
No comments:
Post a Comment