Monday, January 2, 2012

flowing leaf in icy stream



I have always loved photographing details in nature, and I especially like watching water. I have used polarizing filters occasionally, allowing a look down beyond the reflections into the darkness, but the reflections of  the light on water are actually part of what attracts me to this part of creation. On an existential level, the play of reflection and depth reminds me about the part of myself which both glistens and hides the inner deeper parts.

I found this image last week, while on retreat at Holy Cross monastery. I spent quite a lot of time with a small stream that was flowing down the hill into the river. While this image shows the golden leaf standing still in a moment of time, it might just have easily been flowing past, down, with the stream. A glimpse of it was all I wanted.

No comments: