Tuesday, September 14, 2010

religious tolerance in line at Safeway, or, peace by shouting

Last night, after a long day, I went to my local Safeway to buy a salad for dinner. I usually go to the self-check out these days, but for some reason last night I was too tired to even do that, so I found a line and got in it.

Ahead of me was a young Muslim woman in headcovering, with her two sons. Her basket was sorted into a variety of piles of food, all of which were being paid for separately and in different ways. I could see right away we were in for a long transaction, so I took a deep breath, started to pray and asked God to please let me be a vessel of peace rather than a vessel of frustration and anger. I had to keep breathing because there were many piles of food and many boyish skirmishes for the mother to handle, along with many payments to make.

Finally, the checker was heard to say "I'm sorry, but this is not enough money." It occurred to me to pull out my wallet, but the man behind me beat me to it, and in a loud, not-unkind voice said "please let me pay whatever is needed. I have lots of Muslim friends and they don't deserve the treatment they are getting in our country. "

Then began about thirty seconds of that which I was not prepared for. An excited and heated exchange between the young woman and the man. The words were not unkind, but they were loud, and it was all I could do to hold my place in the middle. My own nerves had been shattered yesterday  and I prayed fervently to remain in peace. I wanted to join in the fray.

Finally, as the fever reached its height, I threw up my hands and said softly "please, can we be in peace." The checker looked relieved, the woman and the man smiled at each other, and the man behind me said "Lady, sometimes you have to say something to have peace."

And he is right.

Thank you, anonymous man in Safeway last night, for the teaching!

No comments: