Wednesday, March 25, 2009

the wind...

It has been blowing a gale up on the hilltop these past few days. The wind comes howling through the Lucas Valley, which connects ocean to bay. The wind is always unsettling to me, disturbing, although also compelling when I am out sailing, windsurfing or doing other "wind" activities. This picture is a very old one which I just had scanned. Not the best photograph, but it speaks to me today. It was taken in 1991 when I attended the Henley Royal Regatta with my friend Sandy. This is of some grass in the English countryside. I love the action of the wind and the stillness at the center. It reminds me of the view I had of my own legs this morning at rowing...as we take up the rate and row full pressure, the water we are rowing in begins to blur, while the rhythm of the rowers stays in full, clear view.

Kind of like a life of seeking God. Things can be blurry, speeding by, and usually there is a little glimpse of clarity, even when the wind is howling so loud you can barely stand it, or the boat is going so fast you cannot believe it. That little glimpse, like the small portion of bread and wine we receive each time we make Eucharist together, nourishes us for the journey ahead.

No comments: