Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Creating our own climate

Remember PigPen? He was the Charlie Brown character who walked around in a cloud of dust. His cloud was with him whereever he went, rain or shine, beach or snowstorm.

I've been pondering PigPen the past two mornings as friends and I have lifted weights in a frosty cold boathouse. As I lie on the bench press after several rounds of circuits, I notice the steam rising from my face and think "I'm creating my own micro climate!" And as the weights got heavier (not literally, but in the best sense of muscles growing weary after repeated lifts)I began to think of the ways in which our activity creates our climate and that climate affects those around us. With dumbbells and barbells today, our shared climate was one of joy (at coming later than usual, since practice hasn't officially started) and commitment to the new year. "One real pushup" or "stand on the balance board" is an achievable goal, and doable in the climate that is being created.

When we prayed wonderful Psalm 84 on Sunday, and heard the story of the Magi, and talked with the kids about what it means to be a pilgrim, and to be on pilgrimage, we reminded ourselves of the climate we create. As our ancestors did on their way to the Holy City, we sang our song of pilgrimage, creating our climate of hope and joy,

Happy are the people whose strength is in you,
whose hearts are set on the pilgrim's way.

Those who go through the desolate valley will find it a place of springs,
for the early rains have covered it with pools of water.

They will climb from height to height,
and the God of gods will reveal Godself in Zion.

No comments: