Wednesday, August 6, 2008

A dose of humility

Today I woke up on the wrong side of the bed. I was sleepy, grouchy and generally unpleasant to be around. I was supposed to cox, but was then assigned to row in a quad, not my favorite boat, so I got even grouchier. By the time we got out past San Quentin, I had developed a headache. Other than looking up to wave to the prisoner in the bright green jumpsuit, I mostly kept my head down and tried to hang on for the practice.

Beth, Barbara and Beverlee took me in their boat and gave me only kindness, sympathy and their water (I had forgotten mine, of course.) As I got more prickly, they got kinder. And kinder, to the point that when we arrived back at the dock, Barbara ran to the locker room and gave me her banana, since she could see that I needed some energy (and some potassium.)

That gesture, the giving of her banana, was the one of the most humbling experiences I have ever had. It was the kindness of a friend, a teammate, food that gave me way more than I deserved or expected. It shook me out of my doldrums and shouted "pay attention to the incredible group of people you are part of, and be thankful!"

I have said for a long time that the rowers save me, every day. I thank God for them.

No comments: