I've been having my maiden voyage in the single every year for almost twenty years now. I go out once or twice in the spring, then never again until the next year. Ari and Rachel have enticed me with the singles ladder: a race around a buoy which one can do in the widest or the skinniest boat. Not that I am competitive with myself or anything, but I have decided this is a fun challenge.
Today Lydia and I went out in singles and I learned about what it means to have the teacher appear when the student is ready. Today the teacher was the boat. I took out my usual big old bathtub...and for the very first time, I realized I am ready to graduate to a skinnier boat. The boat felt so heavy in the water, the run non-existent. I"m ready to graduate to the next level. Even though I slogged along down the creek, it was like a call to prayer this morning. The light was so amazing on Mt. Tam, the water so mirror-like, I was with Lydia but alone in my boat, out in the morning sky and light, in solitude. It was perfect. All except my rowing...but that will come.
No comments:
Post a Comment