Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Execution along the race course

Last night the State of California executed Stanley Tookie Williams. Killed him with a lethal injection. As I stood with several thousand other people outside the main gates, I couldn't help but note the very odd juxtaposition of where I find myself...most days rowing passionately up and down the ferry channel, right past the prison, where over 600 condemned men wait on Death Row for their date with the needle. And last night, at 12:01 am, in silent vigil, looking out over the same ferry channel. In both places I pray for Tookie, for his victims, for their families and his family, for the guards, for the Governor, for us, that we may have a change of heart and bring about a moratoriunn of the death penalty. My rowing prayers usually feel full of passion and compassion. Last night, the same prayers at the Main Gate of San Quentin felt hollow and empty.

2 comments:

Whit+ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Whit+ said...

Prayers offered in hollow places say more to me about faith than prayers offered in passionate times. After all, it is easy to pray when we feel like it, and hard when we do not - sort of like rowing in the rain.