Coach Rick has a pattern...an erg test the first week of every month. Today it was 20 minutes again. Like last time, I prepared, had a plan. But in the middle of the piece, I had a mental breakdown...I was literally thinking "how can I get out of this...maybe fall off and pretend I've fainted? How about a fake injury?" And all the time I was obsessing about these things, my split time was going up and down and my energy was going everywhere but the handle and footboards of that erg.
Later in the day, I reflected..."what kept me going?" And the answer was, my teammates. I didn't want to let them down. I started praying for "the old rowers" (of which I am one) for ten strokes every two minutes. I couldn't do anything else.
Sometimes the presence of others is the one thing that keeps us going. Is this a life lesson or what?
No comments:
Post a Comment