Last week I spent seven incredible days visiting two religious orders (Convent of St. Helena and West Park Monastery, both in the Hudson River Valley) as well as my friends Thomas and Tom in Vermont. It was seven days of long naps and long nights of sleep, seven days of intense and wonderful conversation, seven days of chanting and praying, seven days of reflection. It was a great seven days.
It also poured rain the entire time I was there so I had to improvise with my workouts by jumping rope and doing squats and situps in my room. One day I went to the Y with Sr. Jean Thomas. They didn't have an erg, darn it :) I got on that treadmill and I pounded. I mean, I pounded that machine for forty minutes, I pounded harder than I have ever before. As I pounded, I thought "what a gift it is to know when energy needs to be directed, and where, and today I need to be wearing myself out." And so I pounded.
Congruence in putting our energy where it needs to be and in the right proportion, that is part of our maturing spirituality. It happens so seldom and is such a gift when it does!
No comments:
Post a Comment